Torna indietro   BaroneRosso.it - Forum Modellismo > Categoria Aeromodellismo > Aeromodellismo Volo a Scoppio

Rispondi

Strumenti discussione Visualizzazione
Vecchio 06 aprile 12, 17:46   #51 (permalink)  Top
User

L'avatar di pieromuzio

Data registr.: 14-06-2011
Komet - Kosmic - Magrotti - Bossaglia

Citazione:
Originalmente inviato da DavidBurke Visualizza messaggio
Greetings, I am doing an article on Italo Magrotti and Cesare Bossaglia and I wonder wether any of you gentleman know who actually built the Komet-15 seen in that photo, was it Italo or was it Cesare?. Also would anyone have a photo of Cesara Bossaglia and/or Italo Magrotti?

And thank you for the OPS 60 and 29 that we had back in 1975, they were just wonderful! We ran the 60 on mini pipe with HiNitro for 300+ Km/Hr on Topflite 9*12 prop and 28 thou monoline. We found that they went faster with a Super Tigre G60 back-end as the Zimmermann Valve did not take a large enough carburetor.

David Burke
Adelaide Aeromotive
Dear David,
I have just seen only now your post!
I had and I have a lot of problems with my PC , but to day again seems working.
I am in modelling/engines/speed since 1951 and Italo , when I started OPS-Motori-Monza-Italia with Gualtiero Picco in 1968 , cooperated with Cesare Bossaglia producing some prototypes for racing boats 2,5 that he liked.
Those prototypes where shown in the Cesare Bossaglia book (as for the above photo posted by Dooling ) and named KOMET .
The company Komet owned by Bossaglia and other peoples in Pavia produced go-kart, outbord and other special racing engines.
Then Bossaglia left the company and the new owners decided to produce the Italo Magrotti & Cesare Bossaglia engines under the name Kosmic.
Italo acted only as consultant but I remember he complainted that all their design was "stravolto" means in italian " completely changed " , so the Kosmic both glow & diesel types are very far from the Komet prototypes ! ( Kosmic produced later also a .23 Sport, RC and UC engines , very poor )
Sorry by I have no pictures of Cesare Bossaglia and Italo Magrotti.

Thank you also for your entusiastic comments on OPS 60 & 29. Yes with nitro fuel the 8mm. Venturi we used in those times was too small , the ST backplate allowed also 12mm.Venturi , necessary for the nitro.
In my 60 Speed models, Italian Champion and Italian Record holder in 1968 with 270 Km/h , 80-20 Fai fuel and two lines, I mounted a 8,5 mm Venturi . You can see the model , news and pictures on MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS Feb. & Apr. 1969 .
But at the take-off with the uniflow-tank all was just on the limit ; it leaned the engine just as necessary to go " in pipe ".
Quite a big difference the use of nitro fuel with tuned pipes, compared with FAI fuels . This was also the reason AMA introduced the mini-pipes and banned the tuned-pipes.

But when in the late '80 years with my brother Manfredi , we flown at over 300 Km/ with Fai fuels, winning our 10th Italian Champ. with two lines and the bigmodels , 100gr.max x dm/q , we had a 13mm Venturi.

Sincerely !

Piero Muzio FAI 241
pieromuzio non è collegato   Rispondi citando
Vecchio 07 aprile 12, 04:35   #52 (permalink)  Top
User

Data registr.: 23-01-2010
Thank you very much Piero, I enjoyed the OPS engines very much. Much like Brothers Rossi, reliable, powerful, quality materials and build with passion!

I feel that the current generation is missing out on Speed and Racing with their "Plug and Play" electric toys, not that I have anything against them as such. Particularly bad is the lack of engine knowledge. So I am going to scan Italo's work from Modellistica and re-post it for the youngsters to read.

I am concerned that youngsters do not even understand that Normale and Piped engines are different and have therefore different setup requirements!

For myself I am working to bring back the engines of our great Australian engine maker Gordon Burford ( see the Prototype casting for one these reproduction engines that we are working on attached ). This is from the original gravity casting die which was made in 1968 by GB and strongly influenced by the excellent work of Cesare Bossaglia and Italo Magrotti. The design is reminiscent of the Komet-15 but with front induction.

After that I am going to build a bar stock engine to raise the F2A speed limit just a little bit higher myself!

Please forgive me for writing in English, someone might want to translate this for all to read.
Icone allegate
i motori e le loro storie-rs-15castingrev-1.jpg  
DavidBurke non è collegato   Rispondi citando
Vecchio 10 aprile 12, 02:52   #53 (permalink)  Top
User

L'avatar di pieromuzio

Citazione:
Thank you very much Piero, I enjoyed the OPS engines very much. Much like Brothers Rossi, reliable, powerful, quality materials and build with passion!

I feel that the current generation is missing out on Speed and Racing with their "Plug and Play" electric toys, not that I have anything against them as such. Particularly bad is the lack of engine knowledge. So I am going to scan Italo's work from Modellistica and re-post it for the youngsters to read.

I am concerned that youngsters do not even understand that Normale and Piped engines are different and have therefore different setup requirements!

For myself I am working to bring back the engines of our great Australian engine maker Gordon Burford ( see the Prototype casting for one these reproduction engines that we are working on attached ). This is from the original gravity casting die which was made in 1968 by GB and strongly influenced by the excellent work of Cesare Bossaglia and Italo Magrotti. The design is reminiscent of the Komet-15 but with front induction.

After that I am going to build a bar stock engine to raise the F2A speed limit just a little bit higher myself!

Please forgive me for writing in English, someone might want to translate this for all to read.
David,
Ok I will try to make a bit of resume.......

Si scusa di scrivere in Inglese e chiede se qualcuno può tradurre! Faccio quindi un piccolo riassunto.
Nel primo intervento chiedeva chiarimenti sul Komet 15 che erano i prototipi fatti da Bossaglia Magrotti che poi uscito Bossaglia dalla Komet e rimasto Magrotti ma solo come consulente, divennero un altra cosa e cioè i Kosmic 15 Glow e Diesel, non più motori da gara ma da uso normale.
Dice che stà scrivendo un articolo in Australia su questi motori anche perchè essi, in effetti furono i primi tre luci Schnuerle con risonanza/scarico accordato venduti di serie nel mondo era il '67, i TWA/K&B erano solo prototipi ed i primi OPS del '68-'69 pure.

Dice anche che questi motori influenzarono molto Gordon Budford, Ingegnere motorista che creò l'unica fabbrica di micromotori Australiana producendo i ben noti "Taipan" e di questi motori sta curando la realizzazione di piccole serie di repliche ,in parte con stampi originali, vedi la foto di una fusione di un 2,5cc. Ha anche un sito web che potete trovare sopra.

Ha scritto di aver usato gli OPS 29 e 60 ed a quest' ultimo toglieva la Zimmerman (la valvola a disco laminare in carter separato ) mettendo il tappo valvola del ST 60RV, questo permetteva di usare il Venturi da 12mm indispensabile per il nitro (da noi era vietato) mentre sull'OPS il Venturi max era di 8,5mm. e superò i 300 Km/h .
Aggiunge che OPS e Rossi erano i suoi preferiti per qualità, precisione e perchè costruiti con passione !

Lamenta che i giovani sono frastornati dal pronto al volo e dagli "eletric-toys".
Essi poi non hanno abbastanza conoscenze motoristiche e ad esempio non si rendono conto delle enormi differenze fra l'uso di un motore con silenziatore o scarico libero (Normale ) e l'uso degli scarichi accordati o pipe e per questo ripubblicherà in Australia quanto scrisse Magrotti su modellistica nel.....secolo scorso!

Termina dicendo che vorrebbe farsi un 2,5 da velocità F2A, dal pieno, dalla barra, cioè senza fusioni per migliorare i limiti , non è ben chiaro se personali , Australiani o mondiali ! (David you think Australian or World F2A limits ?) .

Saluti a voi ed a David.

Piero Muzio FAI 241
Vecchio 12 aprile 12, 01:58   #54 (permalink)  Top
User

Thank you for the translation Piero, even the Google Translator likes it!'

I am not sure what this thread is about but to answer your question I am only interested in the WR because of the technical interest in new engine design. The speed in Australia is around 290+ with the usual RTF stuff ( Profi and/or Kalmikov ). The WR is 307 held by Kevin Morrisey of England using a HS-15 built by Peter Halman. This engine is interesting because the crankcase is investment cast from a wax produced by "3D Printing" from a CAD model.

Obviously this is a good method for speedy modification as you do not need to make a complex mold at any stage. Also if something needs change this can be done without being trapped by what you can do to change an existing mold.

On my historical interests:

Can you remember where the Kosmic K-15 was assembled and packaged? Just need this so that I can end my article on the Origins of Gordon Burford's engine. The Kosmic box says "Milano - Pavia" but gives no details of who or where. From the broad description it probably means several sub-contract suppliers and maybe one assembly/distribution point?

Also do you have any photo's of old Rossi or OPS gravity casting processes? Need that to do the transfer passages on the Taipan crankcase gravity casting when it is cast at full height. Gordon Burford did not do this because he wanted to keep the price down by having only one man to do the casting. We on the other hand just wish to complete the history and have no problems with the cost of doing so.

Yours in Modelling,
David Burke.
Files allegati
Tipo file: pdf Halman15.pdf‎ (2,02 MB, 632 visite)

Ultima modifica di DavidBurke : 12 aprile 12 alle ore 02:04
Vecchio 16 aprile 12, 12:30   #55 (permalink)  Top
User

L'avatar di pieromuzio

Citazione:
Thank you for the translation Piero, even the Google Translator likes it!'

I am not sure what this thread is about but to answer your question I am only interested in the WR because of the technical interest in new engine design. The speed in Australia is around 290+ with the usual RTF stuff ( Profi and/or Kalmikov ). The WR is 307 held by Kevin Morrisey of England using a HS-15 built by Peter Halman. This engine is interesting because the crankcase is investment cast from a wax produced by "3D Printing" from a CAD model.

Obviously this is a good method for speedy modification as you do not need to make a complex mold at any stage. Also if something needs change this can be done without being trapped by what you can do to change an existing mold.

On my historical interests:

Can you remember where the Kosmic K-15 was assembled and packaged? Just need this so that I can end my article on the Origins of Gordon Burford's engine. The Kosmic box says "Milano - Pavia" but gives no details of who or where. From the broad description it probably means several sub-contract suppliers and maybe one assembly/distribution point?

Also do you have any photo's of old Rossi or OPS gravity casting processes? Need that to do the transfer passages on the Taipan crankcase gravity casting when it is cast at full height. Gordon Burford did not do this because he wanted to keep the price down by having only one man to do the casting. We on the other hand just wish to complete the history and have no problems with the cost of doing so.

Yours in Modelling,
David Burke.
Dear David,
I have seen the above article of the new engine by Peter Halman two years ago when came out. Is a nice and fast engine. Of course I know Peter as well as Kevin Morrisey, British Champion and Recordman with the OPS 60 many times since 1974, when he was a saleman for Ron Irvine our first OPS / GB distributor from '72 till '82.

Yes all change and we are obliged to use, sand, gravity, die-cast , CAD/CAM molds and 3D Photolitography systems ! We used this CAD/3D for an outboard 0.12/2,11cc, never produced but shown in Nurnberg in 1996 and 1997 !

Probably I have solved my PC problems and so I will show some pictures of my Speed Models and engines. The F2A "all Italian" best speed with 288 Kmh., engine, model, propeller , is still of our OPS / Muzio Manfredi and Piero in Lucca 1993 ( Ricci Trophy ).
One of those models was equipped in 2010 with a geared front reduction.

Unfortunately I have not pictures of the gravity process.

Last question on Kosmic - Milano Pavia . All were made in Pavia ( town 50 Km. from Milano ) and the company name was Officina Meccanica Consiglio.

Traduzione Italiana seguirà . Saluti

Piero Muzio FAI 241
Vecchio 16 aprile 12, 15:25   #56 (permalink)  Top
User

Data registr.: 05-09-2010
Ciao Piero, ciao a tutti!
Sto seguendo lo scambio di informazioni con David Burke, è interessante anche perchè si parla di motori da velocità, che mi appassionano da sempre. Purtroppo in questi tempi mi sembra di capire che gli unici motori da velocità in campo aeromodellistico sono i 2.5 F2A e i 6.5 da Pylon Racing FAI, essendo state abolite le serie II, III e IV, almeno in Italia. Allora faccio una escursione nel passato e cerco di capire le prestazioni dei motori 10 cc. in campo aeromodellistico III serie negli anni 50, in particolare Dooling 61,Supertigre G 24, McCoy 60 Serie 20. Confrontando le prestazioni dei motori corsa corta e corsa lunga per la F3A anni 80/90, si vede che i secondi hanno più coppia e un regime di potenza massima più basso rispetto ai corsa corta. I dati di alesaggio e corsa dei tre motori anni cinquanta che citavo sono ( a meno di errori da parte mia):

Dooling 61 alesaggio 25.8 mm corsa 19 mm non conosco Hp e Rpm
Supertigre G 24 alesaggio 25 mm corsa 20 mm 1.40 Hp 17000 rpm
McCoy 60 alesaggio 23.9 mm. corsa 22.9 mm 1.32 Hp 17000 rpm

Dei tre motori quello che risultò più vincente negli aerei sembra sia stato il McCoy, mentre gli altri due, in particolare il Dooling, andavano meglio nelle auto e negli scafi, sui quali si usava il volano. Il Dooling in particolare era fortissimo, il G 24 credo che fosse all'altezza ( lo adoro, per cui sono un pò di parte) ma non è stato sufficientemente valorizzato...
Allora mi viene da pensare che la superiorità del McCoy potesse derivare dalla corsa più lunga, che gli consentiva di gestire eliche più adatte per la velocità, mentre gli altri due richiedevano una messa a punto dell'insieme motore/elica/modello più critica, proprio per il fatto di avere una corsa decisamente corta.Col volano però si esprimevano al meglio.
La mia è naturalmente una supposizione, non fatto fino ad ora nessun tipo di esperienza, anche se ho in mente di fare qualcosa ( dei tre mi manca il Dooling ). Che ne pensate?
Grazie, ciao a tutti
Ernesto
nernst non è collegato   Rispondi citando
Vecchio 16 aprile 12, 16:03   #57 (permalink)  Top
User

L'avatar di dooling

Data registr.: 22-08-2007
Citazione:
Originalmente inviato da nernst Visualizza messaggio
Ciao Piero, ciao a tutti!
Sto seguendo lo scambio di informazioni con David Burke, è interessante anche perchè si parla di motori da velocità, che mi appassionano da sempre. Purtroppo in questi tempi mi sembra di capire che gli unici motori da velocità in campo aeromodellistico sono i 2.5 F2A e i 6.5 da Pylon Racing FAI, essendo state abolite le serie II, III e IV, almeno in Italia. Allora faccio una escursione nel passato e cerco di capire le prestazioni dei motori 10 cc. in campo aeromodellistico III serie negli anni 50, in particolare Dooling 61,Supertigre G 24, McCoy 60 Serie 20. Confrontando le prestazioni dei motori corsa corta e corsa lunga per la F3A anni 80/90, si vede che i secondi hanno più coppia e un regime di potenza massima più basso rispetto ai corsa corta. I dati di alesaggio e corsa dei tre motori anni cinquanta che citavo sono ( a meno di errori da parte mia):

Dooling 61 alesaggio 25.8 mm corsa 19 mm non conosco Hp e Rpm
Supertigre G 24 alesaggio 25 mm corsa 20 mm 1.40 Hp 17000 rpm
McCoy 60 alesaggio 23.9 mm. corsa 22.9 mm 1.32 Hp 17000 rpm

Dei tre motori quello che risultò più vincente negli aerei sembra sia stato il McCoy, mentre gli altri due, in particolare il Dooling, andavano meglio nelle auto e negli scafi, sui quali si usava il volano. Il Dooling in particolare era fortissimo, il G 24 credo che fosse all'altezza ( lo adoro, per cui sono un pò di parte) ma non è stato sufficientemente valorizzato...
Allora mi viene da pensare che la superiorità del McCoy potesse derivare dalla corsa più lunga, che gli consentiva di gestire eliche più adatte per la velocità, mentre gli altri due richiedevano una messa a punto dell'insieme motore/elica/modello più critica, proprio per il fatto di avere una corsa decisamente corta.Col volano però si esprimevano al meglio.
La mia è naturalmente una supposizione, non fatto fino ad ora nessun tipo di esperienza, anche se ho in mente di fare qualcosa ( dei tre mi manca il Dooling ). Che ne pensate?
Grazie, ciao a tutti
Ernesto
Il mio modesto contributo:

le immagini sono tratte da:
Aeromodelli da velocità d'epoca di C Guasco.

Mi risulta anche il "dooling magnete", che non ho mai visto, era utilizzato nelle gare di automodelli da velocità al pilone da un certo Sig Citterio (credo).

Ultima modifica di dooling : 16 aprile 12 alle ore 16:07 Motivo: ............
dooling non è collegato   Rispondi citando
Vecchio 17 aprile 12, 02:16   #58 (permalink)  Top
User

Citazione:
Originalmente inviato da pieromuzio Visualizza messaggio
Dear David,
I have seen the above article of the new engine by Peter Halman two years ago when came out. Is a nice and fast engine. Of course I know Peter as well as Kevin Morrisey, British Champion and Recordman with the OPS 60 many times since 1974, when he was a saleman for Ron Irvine our first OPS / GB distributor from '72 till '82.

Yes all change and we are obliged to use, sand, gravity, die-cast , CAD/CAM molds and 3D Photolitography systems ! We used this CAD/3D for an outboard 0.12/2,11cc, never produced but shown in Nurnberg in 1996 and 1997 !

Probably I have solved my PC problems and so I will show some pictures of my Speed Models and engines. The F2A "all Italian" best speed with 288 Kmh., engine, model, propeller , is still of our OPS / Muzio Manfredi and Piero in Lucca 1993 ( Ricci Trophy ).
One of those models was equipped in 2010 with a geared front reduction.

Unfortunately I have not pictures of the gravity process.

Last question on Kosmic - Milano Pavia . All were made in Pavia ( town 50 Km. from Milano ) and the company name was Officina Meccanica Consiglio.

Traduzione Italiana seguirà . Saluti

Piero Muzio FAI 241
Thank you Piero, I had thought that Italo Magrotti might have made the Kosmic or the Komet GoCart Engine Company.

I read about Ernesto inquiring into the Dooling and McCoy 61. We used the OPS and G61RV and never short stroke engines like the Dooling because of propeller tip speed problems, we needed engines that peaked at lower rpm. Longer stroke engines can handle big propellor pitch, we used 9*12 and Andy Kerr used 9*13 on the G60R to reach 320 KPH in 1975/6. In Australia we used HiNitro ( up to 70% along with 20% Propylene Oxide ) and it is a slow burning fuel, another reason to use longer stroke.

The G24 is a nice looking engine, some say that this style of drum induction lubricates the crankpin better than disc valve.

Agree about the lack of engine development on bigger engines but the power is now too much to use at over 4BHP, so we now play with the smaller engines only.

I still like to make my next F2A engine from bar stock, I have pictures of Carl Dodge's engine in bits somewhere, I will post them later once I find them.

Please post your pictures of your speed models and engines as they will be very interesting!
Vecchio 18 aprile 12, 00:00   #59 (permalink)  Top
User

Data registr.: 05-09-2010
@ Dooling
Grazie Dooling per il contributo tutt'altro che modesto! Conoscevo gli articoli relativi al Dooling 61 e al G 24, ma non quello sul McCoy. Naturalmente negli anni successivi il quadro cambia sostanzialmente, con l'affermazione di una nuova generazione di motori come il Rossi 60 Speed, il G 60 RV, e dopo ancora inizia l'era dei motori dotati di travasi Schnuerle, OPS, Picco, Rossi....Il primato torna in Italia, anche se ricordo il prototipo del TWA 60 (o 65) di Theobald e Wisniewski, che forse fu il primo motore "grosso" con travasi Schnuerle e pipa. Quando vidi la foto su una rivista americana del tempo mi sembrò un mostro.... bellissimo, con una espressione di potenza non comune. Altri tempi. Sarebbe bello mettere insieme questi gioielli del passato, e provarli, magari solo al banco, fare confronti, scambiare idee. Al momento io ho solo il G 24 e il McCoy 60, chissà, poco a poco....
Ciao
Ernesto

@David Burke
Thank you David for your interest in my questions. I see that you agree with me about the relationship between short stroke and propeller problems. I like your F2A engine project from bar stock, fine!
All the best
Ernesto
nernst non è collegato   Rispondi citando
Vecchio 18 aprile 12, 01:18   #60 (permalink)  Top
User

Citazione:
Originalmente inviato da nernst Visualizza messaggio
@ Dooling
Grazie Dooling per il contributo tutt'altro che modesto! Conoscevo gli articoli relativi al Dooling 61 e al G 24, ma non quello sul McCoy. Naturalmente negli anni successivi il quadro cambia sostanzialmente, con l'affermazione di una nuova generazione di motori come il Rossi 60 Speed, il G 60 RV, e dopo ancora inizia l'era dei motori dotati di travasi Schnuerle, OPS, Picco, Rossi....Il primato torna in Italia, anche se ricordo il prototipo del TWA 60 (o 65) di Theobald e Wisniewski, che forse fu il primo motore "grosso" con travasi Schnuerle e pipa. Quando vidi la foto su una rivista americana del tempo mi sembrò un mostro.... bellissimo, con una espressione di potenza non comune. Altri tempi. Sarebbe bello mettere insieme questi gioielli del passato, e provarli, magari solo al banco, fare confronti, scambiare idee. Al momento io ho solo il G 24 e il McCoy 60, chissà, poco a poco....
Ciao
Ernesto

@David Burke
Thank you David for your interest in my questions. I see that you agree with me about the relationship between short stroke and propeller problems. I like your F2A engine project from bar stock, fine!
All the best
Ernesto
Thank you for your comments Ernesto, I include scans of Carl Dodge's barstock engine that was used to win the 1990 World Champs at 302 kph. You will notice the way the transfers are swept back to accelerate the gasses into the cylinder. One Exhaust, two Transfer and two Boost ports, ABC with rear disc induction.

I agree with you about the need to test these old engines like the Dooling 61, G24 etc. I am just begining to make a TestBench that will record Torque and RPM as there is a need to try some of these things out. I will let you know how things go later. I could send you some bits so you can make yours ( Gratis ) later if all goes well. Do you have equipment and machining skills or someone who has?

Would like to also know how the original OPS 60 with ring compared to the same engine with ABC. David Leigh ( the boat modeller ) used the original OPS 60 but with Redhead Piston and Liner to do 299 on 28 thou monoline in 1974 here in Adelaide ( 10*10 prop on 3:1 fuel with full length tuned pipe on suction ).

Greetings to ALL from sunny Adelaide, South Australia.
Icone allegate
i motori e le loro storie-carldodge-1990.jpg   i motori e le loro storie-carldodge-1990-crankcase.jpg   i motori e le loro storie-dodgerv-liner-1990-.jpg   i motori e le loro storie-dodgerv-liner-1990-b.jpg  
Rispondi